Wednesday, December 23, 2009

baby steps.


Well it has been a while since starting this blog and writing my first post. I think just before the Holidays was not the smartest time to start this endeavor considering the amount of Holiday parties, food, and time spent staying at my parents. But I am now back home and into my routine and it is a New Year and this is something I am dedicating myself to this year. But all journeys begin with just one step and while I am taking more than one step at a time right now, they are but mere baby steps. Small things I can do now without feeling too overwhelmed or changing too much at once. Later in this experience I will do a post about big steps and long term goals, but for now here is what I am trying....

--switching to grass fed beef and pork only (local if possible, but not a necessity at this point)
--buying cage-free vegetarian fed eggs. This is a little more expensive but finding local eggs is easy to find and they really do taste better
--buying organic when possible (most local food is from small markets is already organic)
--Trying to buy fruits and vegetables that are in season(since I am starting this in January, this will be easier as the year goes on.)
--Shopping Farmer's Markets (I am luck the Ann Arbor one is open year round :)
--Using this cold weather time to investigate my options and make a grow plan for the spring
--Learning to make my own cheese and bread.
--Creative meal planning that won't make me feel like my options are limited

No comments:

Post a Comment